Saturday, May 29, 2010

You're Cold.


Noynoy Aquino is in the same dilemma as Barack Obama. Both are smoking presidents.

Aquino, who is awaiting proclamation as President of the Philippines and the then newly elected U.S. President have been admonished by their constituents for smoking, even before their proclamation.


Barack shrugged off his critics and promised he would stay off nicotine, while Aquino seems to be getting pissed or "naiirita." There was even a news item which said Aquino won't quit.

Suddenly, everybody is on Noy's case. The Secretary of Health, Mrs. Cabral said Noynoy should quit; even WHO (World Health Organization) advised Aquino to stay off cigarette and said he should lead by example.

I can emphatize with Senator Aquino. Quitting smoking is the hardest thing to do.

I used to smoke at least two packs a day. My first brand was Marlboro, then I switched to Camel, then Newport. In Diliman where majority were smokers, I never lit a stick. It was when I was already employed that I picked up the habit, and it helped that two of my best friends were chain smokers.

So all day in the air conditioned office and evenings, in lounges, folk houses and disco joints, I was constantly lighting. Beer and after-dinner were so much better with a smoke.

I tried endless times to quit smoking. I knew it was an unhealthy habit and the hot Manila weather, the beer and my childhood asthma were getting the worst of me.

It was in New York weeks before the no smoking in offices law was passed that I finally decided to quit. But before this, I tried several times to stop. I would cut down on my daily consumption, or I would chew gum or not buy a pack but just smooched some from my office mates.

Finally, my boss challenged the smokers in the office, including herself, to quit. I took up the challenge and decided to do it cold turkey. That was in 1989, and to this day, I've never held a cigarette in my hand and touched it to my lip.

And since then, whenever I smell smoke, I would choke.

Cold turkey. That's the only way to do it.

No comments: