Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Give kids a chance.

LEFT-  Sta. Ana Church 
There are two good public schools in the Sta. Ana district - the Santa Ana Elementary School which is behind the church, and further, Tomas Earnshaw Elementary School, which I attended.
Tomas Earnshaw was the sixth Mayor of the City of Manila.

Because the results of the 2010 elections for the VP slot is so hotly contested, I've been glued to the TV ever since Day 1, May 10th.

I've discovered channels I didn't know existed before like Channel 24, 26 and 27 (for SkyCable subscribers).  I particularly like Channel 27 because the anchormen/women are not as excitable as those in Channels 8 (ABS CBN), 12,  (GMA) and 26, (DZMM).

I've been wondering why local news, especially the commercial morning and early evening editions, cast doubt in the minds of viewers over every news items.  For instance, the newscaster would read a story, then offer right away an opinion or pasaring

The way the newscasters deliver their "opinion," is in an indirect way - question-like? or "sabi ng iba ganito daw ang nangyari,"  dinala daw ang mga PCOS machine sa Antipolo, di ba mataas dun at maganda ang signal?" ( Someone said this is what happened; the PCOS machines were brought to Antipolo which is a mountain-high area where the signals are great, right?).

The trouble with most Pinoys is that we don't speak our minds clearly and directly. "Maraming mga padaplis." ( There's a lot of indirect, non committal talk).

I have trouble nowadays because whenever I speak, people around me think I am angry, or being negative.  When I give my comment over something, they'd say I'm being opinionated. Or that I speak too loud; or that I am deaf because a lot of times I could not understand the way English words are being pronounced locally.

I say, "sorry, please speak loudly and enunciate clearly."

So give the kids a chance.  Chance at a new, clean, incorruptible government - one in which they'd have more opportunities for learning, getting jobs, more books in public libraries and school supplies they can afford to buy, clean water and abundant source of food, free or affordable health care, etc.

When I was studying in a public elementary school in the 60's, we had free books, free milk, bread and cheese. Our school had a large yard where there were swings, T Bars and a garden.  

This was about twenty years after the country had gained its "independence" from the Americans - when the leaders had a vision for a better democratic Philippines. 

Which reminds me how school supplies prices have gone up two weeks into school opening.

In Canada, school children get free ride (school bus), free books, and in some, free breakfast.  In the province of Ontario, children from one year old to eighteen get a Baby bonus. 




No comments: