Sunday, July 14, 2013

Not new but fun to watch.

It was a rainy day and my car's alternator was not acting up (?) so I decided to watch HBO as the entire household was asleep including the three dogs and the cat.

First movie was Safe House starring Denzel Washington and Ryan Reynolds and The Amazing Spiderman. On Friday we were at the Megamall and people lined up at all the cinemas. I took a peek and wanted to see World War Z but was late for the showing.
I have un-viewed DVDs sitting by the set but decided on HBO anyway.

And this morning while sipping black coffee and enjoying a bowl of hot champorado and buttered pan de sal, I tuned in to HBO's VEEP starring my favorite Elaine of Seinfeld, Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

When I was working at a law firm in Manhattan in the late 80's, I had an office mate who looked like Julia, also a Jewish girl with the same eyes and hairdo. And then there was another girl who worked as a temp and was always cracking us up; she wanted to be a stand up comic.

I found out later that Manhattan was and is the place where the theatre and movie hopefuls do office  or service work while waiting for the big time to happen. That's why the song "New York, New York's ...if I can make it here, I'll make it anywhere... famous line.

Hope. That's a word that always refreshes, and what everyone needs. I'm hoping that our apostolate's big assignment in church would be a success.

All around me relatives and friends have their own wishes and hopes. New parents hope for their baby's good health, budding entrepreneurs hope for added contracts, new or seasoned travellers hope for safe and enjoyable vacations, and regular folks hope for peaceful and comfortable lives.

Not new but always fun to watch. This includes the past seasons of our lives.

No comments: