Sunday, October 18, 2009

Care-given.

I've seen the devotion my sisters have given and are giving to my mother. TLC to the core.

They tend to her 7/24, and they still retain a sense of humour that is infectious.

We grew up as a very close knit extended family. We were surrounded by aunts who ministered to and aided our Mom and us all the way - from birth to maturity. One aunt had no child and the other aunt's child lived with us, so we consider her a sister.

My two aunts died years ago; Diche and Sanse as we called them. My Mom's Ate I never got to see for she passed away when I was a mere baby.

It is great to see children taking care of their parents. It's become a big worry of parents, especially in North America, as to who would take care of them when they're aged and weak and sick, and senile.

In Toronto you see apartments for seniors, retirement homes, or nursing homes - the last "cocoons" for the aging citizens. It's become a big business.

Some individuals prefer to live in their own dwellings up until their last day here on earth. They rely on among other things, live-in caregiver, live out help, occasional help, government aid, philantrophic interventions (meals on wheels) and family care.

It is ordinary to see these people strolling out in the park or even going to the grocery with their canes as companion or riding in a mobile, motorized wheelchair. Some bring their pet dogs with them.

For those who are really sick, the government of Canada's health care system provides care - 7/24. But you hear countless of abuses in these nursing homes - diapers not changed, bed sores neglected, and even physical abuse by caregivers and staff.

My eldest sister often says " the way you take care of your parents is the way your children will take care of you."

While here in Manila, I linger by my mother's house - assisting in whatever way I can. But I cannot compare my contribution to the contribution most of my sisters are giving.

Bless them.

1 comment:

Lyssie said...

That's what makes our culture and extended families great when we talk about home health care for the infirm and/or the elderly. We do it with TLC 24/7, although sometimes motivated by something else. Hopefully things won't change in generations to come as we become more and more dependent on technology and be less compassionate as a consequence. Your mother is indeed very lucky.