Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Over Kill.


I've never seen so many security people until I saw the security force at a condo complex in Sucat. I think there are as many security men as there are residents or tenants.

For people living there, it is an assurance that their lives and property are well protected. But for an outsider like me and coming from Canada, I feel intimated and a bit harassed.

In Toronto, our condo has one security officer who doesn't carry a gun, and three maintenance crew. There is a property manager and day staff, and of course a Board composed of unit owners.

For building maintenance upkeep, big repairs, plumbing, fire alarms and other big projects, contractors are utilized. Meanwhile, each unit takes care of its own interior - renovations and electrical. Cable and hydro are included in the monthly maintenance fee which covers snow and garbage removal, use of recreation room and pool, covered parking and security.

There are no security men prowling the building except for a night guard who patrols the parking and man the front lobby. Security cameras are in place.

Of course, each resident carries a security-coded key which activates the lobby and other access points, laundry room, underground parking and the areas leading to the recreation, gym and pool. So non-residents could not enter the building and its service areas.

If there are any disturbances, the city police force is a 911-call away. They'd get in the building/site in five minutes tops.

In several villages in Manila where relatives reside, a guard would ask for an I.D. whenever you drive through or pass their gates. You then collect your driver's license when you leave.

Which reminds me of Manila hotels. Security men were constantly prowling the hallways, and I think it was at the Galleria where barong-clad security were the first people I saw as I got off the elevator for my room one time I stayed there.

If cities, towns and barangays could employ the same kind and level of security that the private entities provide for their patrons and clients, then the citizenry would not get paranoid bringing their laptops at Starbucks or making cellphone calls as they wait for a jeepney or taxi ride.

No comments: