Sunday, October 25, 2009

Certain Things I Don't Get.







It's probably going to be quite difficult for me to settle (again) permanently in the Philippines. There are certain things I don't get.

Like certain people.  

Like security guards who can't understand simple logic:  that an Ontario license allows me to drive for at least 90 days in the Philippines, so it becomes a legal driver's license, and should be treated like one.  Some village security guards don't know about this, and no matter how many times you explain it to them, they just don't get it.

Like certain people who give directions such as "dere-deretso lang, duon na mismo."  

Like certain things.

Street signage that don't exist.  Or signs that point you to a direction miles ahead, and disappear at the very point you need it.   Or street signs that are so dirtied you can't even read it.  Or street signs that are covered by trees/leaves, and when it gets dark, you totally can't see them.

I drove from Manila to Tagaytay City, to Monte Maria, to Dasmarinas in Cavite, and back to Manila.  Was I frustrated!

At one intersection in Bauan, Batangas, the left sign says "To Batangas" and there was nothing in the direction which was straight ahead.  But we were already in Batangas, so what does "To Batangas" mean?

And then going to Monte Maria, some people were saying that there would be lots of signage from SM Batangas City which would point to MM.  There was none.   The actual signs started at the bottom-approach to the mountain shrine.

At one important intersection (San Isidro I think), the street was curving to the right and there was a street going straight.  There was no sign pointing to Monte Maria here.  It was a very important point, because if you go straight, it would lead you to a secluded area.  And the road to Monte Maria was the one that curves right.

But of course, all the missing signage did not dampen our excitement and joy in experiencing Monte Maria.  It is a great place - a place of our Mother - the Blessed Virgin Mary. 

But really, there should be a clamor from the citizens to make the streets of Manila and the provinces more user friendly.  Travellers could not simply rely on "directions" given by friends and peoples at various "kantos" or intersections.

Before going to Monte Maria, I checked the website for directions but there were none.

Then in Dasmarinas, we were looking for a street called Governor's Road which was supposed to be very near the Robinson's - SM malls.  Yes, again the sign was hidden from the mortal eyes. 

When I drove from QC to Paranaque coming from Pedro Gil and on to Roxas Blvd, I followed the signs showing "To NAIA."  Then at the most important point wherein to turn left, the sign was nowhere in sight.  I ended up going straight to the toll highway - Coastal Road where I had to pay and had to made a U-turn.  At the toll booth, I told the clerk what happened and he simply said," Sir, marami po talagang nagkakamali at naliligaw diyan. U-turn na lang po kayo sa dulo."  Period. Wow.

Another thing I find difficult is understanding how people talk.  Whether a person speaks Tagalog or English, I find it hard to understand.  My ears could not catch some words - Pinoys tend to speak fast and to shorten English words.  It's just not me, even two of my sisters and some balikbayan friends noted this. The reason is having been used to hearing Anglos(American and Canadians) and French-Canadians speak English.  And having not heard spoken Tagalog for so many years.

I am also not used anymore to over "magalang."  There's nothing wrong in being courteous, but if you speak direct to the point, without being "mapalabok" or beating around the bush, you will be mistaken as "mayabang" and you could be in trouble.

And of course, I don't get it when certain people say something and mean another thing.  This is the worst. 

Or certain people promising you something, then not delivering or plain disappearing on you. 


No comments: