Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ti amo. Little Italy.


In Toronto, one of my favorite places is the Little Italy.  It is a section in the St. Clair West area (between the Dufferin and Bathurst streets).  

Here, you will find Italian restaurants, bakeries, shops, convenience stores, churches, banks and even furniture stores ensconced among other ethnic businesses like Portuguese , Hungarian  and even Filipino stores.

During the months of FIFA, Italian delis and sports bars overflow with Italian-Canadians rooting for their Italian team, and cars displaying the Italian flag weaving through the narrow and busy St. Clair West street where the TTC street car is an ever present sight.

I miss Little Italy.  My old office is located in this area and one favourite restaurant frequented by me and my office mates is called Ferro's, where Julie, a lovely Italian caters to our gang's whims.  My favorite panini is called Charles, and another fave is called Mushroom Magic.  

If you walk further west, you will hit Dufferin where there are numerous little shops selling Italian shoes and shirts.

I thought about Little Italy while here in Manila because I learned that there's an Italian Film Festival taking place at the Shangri la cinema complex.  A film entitled Caravaggio looks interesting enough that I plan to see it on Sunday afternoon. It's a good time to catch a glimpse of some other interesting sight. As I will leave soon, it may be a last chance to indulge my eyes on some rare delicacy. Siete bei!

The other day I bought ingredients for some spaghetti which I plan to cook; the spaghetti in Manila is too sweet for my palate.  Even the one in Marciano's at Greenbelt, while okay, was not to my liking. It was too creamy.

Other Italian restaurants in TO which I frequent are East Side Mario's for their Calamari diablo, Olive Garden and Frankie Tomatto, for their Italian buffet. 

No comments: